What Type of Roof Is Right for Me?
The type of roof you choose heavily depends on your geographical location. If you live in a colder climate like Alberta, the type of roof you have and the materials used make a big difference. The harsh winter conditions in Calgary can wreak havoc on your roof. Snow storms, ice, hail, heavy winds and water can lead to cracks, leaks, water damage, insulation issues and further property damage if problems aren’t resolved.
Proper installation also makes a huge difference, by hiring a licenced and insured Calgary roofing company, you can ensure your property is well-protected and properly maintained. To help you choose what type of roof is right for you, our roofing professionals have created a list of roof types and materials you should consider:
The Most Common Types of Roof in Calgary
Top 4 Roofing Concerns in Calgary
- Thermal Shock – Thermal shock occurs when daytime temperatures reach a high and nighttime temperatures dip below freezing. This causes materials to expand and contract through a short period of time deteriorating your roof faster than usual.
- Heavy Snowfall- During our Calgary winters, we see several days of heavy snowfall. This snow accumulates on your roof and weighs it down. If your roof is not properly maintained or if it is on the older side, the weight can damage the structural integrity of your roof.
- Water Damage- During certain times in winter, we get breaks where the temperature gets back into the pluses. Similarly, in the spring when the temperate rises, snow melts and we get into our rainy season. If ice dams form and water accumulates, this can cause leaks and water damage to your property.
- Wind Storms- Strong windstorms can cause serious issues. Gusts of wind can rip shingles off, damage granules and cause loose debris to crash onto your roof, further damaging it. Your shingles are the first layer of defense once this is damaged, it allows water to seep into your roof.
To combat these concerns, we recommend regular roof inspections. Your Calgary roofer can detect issues before they become serious costly problems. Depending on the condition of your roof and their assessment, they can recommend a plan to protect your and your family. This can mean a simple roof repair or a complete roof replacement.
What Roof Should I Choose if I live in Calgary?
Now that we have examined Calgary’s top roofing concerns and the most popular roof type, we can look into what roof is best for you!
- Metal Roofs – Metal roofs are an excellent choice if you live in a colder climate. They are typically lightweight and have a much longer lifespan when compared to other roofing products. Metal roofs are also less prone to water damage as melting snow and ice slide right off. If you live in a summer cottage, or in an isolated area and are looking for something that is low maintenance and durable, a metal roof might be your best option. If you have questions about metal roofs, talk to one of our roofing experts. Dedicated Roofing provides labor warranties and manufacturer warranties for up to 50 years for metal roofs.
- Shingle Roofs- As mentioned previously, asphalt shingles are the most popular choice for roofing. Did you know that over 70% of roofs use asphalt shingles? This is because it is easy to find and install, inexpensive and you have a lot of options and brands to choose from. At Dedicated Roofing, we offer two types of asphalt shingles.
- If you’re looking for High Quality: Premium, luxury or designer shingles, these feature a high-end architectural design which mimics slate, tile or shake shingles.
- If you’re looking for Visual Appeal and are on a Budget: Dimensional roofing shingles, also known as laminate or architectural shingles. Currently, they are the most installed type and come in a wide variety of colours, styles and profiles, each designed to fit a range of looks and budgets.